A nation’s future depends on how well it can tap the potential of its youth. Its education system is therefore the most important tool. How is Bhutan doing? How are our schools and teachers and education leaders doing on this important scorecard?
Any shortfall in the education sector is a failing of immense significance.
Pelkhil School would like to play its role in producing a citizenry that is well-educated, responsible and patriotic. Our slogan VERITAS, HUMILITAS, INTEGRITAS serves as the foundation for this. A good school campus with good infrastructure, a highly educated and motivated faculty and good leadership are the ingredients to success. The School shall also demand the best quality of input from the government and all regulatory bodies.
Brief History of School
Pelkhil School is a private institution located in Tashi Pelkhil Village along the banks of Thimchhu in Thimphu Valley. It was established in 2010 in the Year of the Iron Tiger and the school mascot is the tiger. The 8 acre campus is just minutes from the centre of the capital city yet it enjoys the quiet of a rural setting. The School recognizes the importance of academic achievement but also emphasizes active participation in all sports and extra-curricular activities for all students. The School also recognizes the challenges families face especially in the context of Bhutan’s rapid and continuing transformation. The School therefore aspires to do all it can for its students including drawing in greater and more positive involvement of their parents.
The School also aspires to cultivate and retain an outstanding and committed faculty and provide programs that keep students engaged and also inspired. A good faculty is a good school’s greatest asset. Pelkhil School is a co-educational, non-residential school for students from pre-primary (age 5) to grade 12 (age 17 approximately). We have received permission to introduce residential facilities and we will do so once our plans are ready.
Our student body consists of children of middle-class businessmen, civil servants and ordinary citizens. We have many students on academic and sports scholarship. In 2015 and 2017, the Ministry of Education gave Pelkhil School the ‘most improved’ award for academics in both the grade X BCSE (2015) and grade XII BHSEC (2015 and 2017). In sports, the School has been dominating the scene in most major sports. In 2016 and 2017, the School teams completely swept all the trophies in the inter-school sports carnival.
Students at Pelkhil School prepare for the BCSE and BHSEC examinations for grades X and XII conducted by Bhutan Council for School Examinations and Assessment. We have also received approval to introduce Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) at Pelkhil School and we have begun to prepare to for affiliation. In the Primary Wing, we have already introduced the Cambridge Primary syllabus with supplementary Cambridge text and curriculum.
We are committed to achieve the excellence in academics, for that we will be making big difference by showing better improvement in the results of upcoming years. In sports and culture, during these years, we have crossed many milestones by achieving medals and securing top positions in various competitions at Dzongkhag, regional level and National level.
The school has active 20 functioning club and all other extra co-curricular activities are conducted timely as per the School Annual calendar.
- Chief sponsor of the Bhutan Judo Association, hosts Bhutan national Judo team
- National Champion in Basketball boys – 3 times
- National Champion in Volleyball boys – 3 times
- Thromde Champs in Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Table Tennis – both boys & girls
- National Finalist in Football 2016 and 2017 – both girls and boys
- Master school for i-School project in 2014-2015.
- The only private high school in Thimphu that conducts concert and sports day annually in order to achieve the national goal of Wholesome Education.
- Produced a national Topper in Science in BHSEC 2014.
- Provides scholarship to high achiever in academics, sports, culture etc to more than 70 students every year.
- In 2015 and 2017, Pelkhil School was rated the ‘most improved School’ in academics for both the grade X BCSE and grade XII BHSEC
- The school was blessed by His Majesty’s Visit five times.
- Our BCSE pass percentage in 2017 was 93.5% with 48.4% students qualified and BHSEC pass percentage was 88% with 33.1% students scored 60% above marks.
- Top 3 result in Class III in Thimphu Thromde in 2017